Thursday, July 19, 2012

so it begins

I am going to Ghana. It is such a strange thing for me to say. Perhaps not so surprising to some of you who know me. But for me, Africa was never really on my radar of destinations.

How did this happen you might wonder?

It all began with a conversation with my very dear friend Chris, plans for a bike tour, and hopes for a rendezvous in Europe.

Chris has a friend from Indonesia, and through her plans to do work there and here to support students, and the idea that I might like to be a part of that at some point got me thinking more internationally in terms of social work.
Chris and I planned a bike tour this year (that we will put off until I get back from Ghana now since my monies need to go to this venture) that moved from the west coast to the east coast for logistical reasons. Then I wanted to meet a friend in Italy so I thought I might go do the east coast with Chris, then fly with my bike to Italy and bike to meet my friend.
This turned into, why not find volunteer opportunities on the bike route in Europe...which turned into, why not scrap the bike, scrap Europe, and use all this money I would spend on these vacations to do something more meaningful and make a difference on a broader scale.

So it began

I contacted one of my professors who I had faith would steer me in a good direction for international work (Thank you Dr. Deepak!). She gave me the name of a woman who runs a volunteer placement agency. I went to the website: www.ngoabroad.com and did the questionnaire, put down my destinations and programs of choice (Africa was not on the list), and sent over my resume. Ann called me that very evening to start discussing placement options.

As we talked she said she had the perfect idea of a placement that I could really go into and do some amazing support service and work with my background, but that it was in Africa. Why didn't I include Africa? My answers, simple and honest, I am nervous about all the disease over there and am terribly afraid of spiders...and to me, I picture giant spiders when I think of Africa. (i have my quirks). So valid reasons to be concerned, but after talking about the other options, she had me sold. So I applied to Ghana.

In a few days she told me they had accepted my application to volunteer there...and I started planning. The goal is to stay 4 months or more to work in the re-integration shelter for children just very recently rescued from slavery. The children were abducted and sold, or sold by their families, into forced labor and then bought back by the organization I will go work for. I will go into this more in a following blog. So the longer I stay, the greater good I can do.

I just thought: i'll save a little money, quit my job, make a few bucks on my car, and head over.

Then I started really looking at it. I knew there would be a lot to do and consider, but I was not prepared for the shock of the initial hurdle - COST.

Due to my naivety, I did not consider that volunteering internationally would cost so much.
Agency cost, Vaccinations, Visa, Flights, Room and Board, Supplies, Transport in country (i hardly have enough to get started!).... the list went on! Staying for 4+ months at roughly $12 a day while not generating an income is expensive! So I stared a fund raising website and am going to try and have a few events before I go. I hope to get some support, but I am also willing to toss in all my chips and just play this hand full force. I'll leave a little aside for when I get back, but I am all in.

I hope that I can get the funding I need to stay an optimal time. Here we go!

If you want to help me: www.gofundme.com/gonetoghana

No comments:

Post a Comment